Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I’m shifting to LINUX

Yes! I am now a certified LINUX user. Someone you can call a “newbie” in this computer environment but a “master” in fulfilling my freedom and enjoyment in computing.
I was a Windows user before just like you, since most of us grew up in this environment as this was being taught in school most of the times. And I’m sure that we both had similar experiences with Windows. I guess, it doesn’t matter and no need to mention our good and bad days with Windows here right? 

It’s time to move on and start all over again….this time we’ll be using the right doors that will lead us to a successful computing experience and enough with using windows.
So, why I shifted to LINUX? The following are some of the reasons and things to consider….

  • COST - LINUX is FREE! I don’t have to pay anything to have this powerful and beautiful OS. Contrary to Windows, I have to pay $***.00 / P****.00 to have a license copy of it. 

  • Security - Linux is secured. I don’t need to install Antivirus, Registry Cleaner, Anti-malware and other Anti-this* Anti-that* to protect my system and data. Linux is out-of-the-box or naturally a more secure OS. So I don’t have to worry about security as much worries I had in Windows.

  • Freedom - In LINUX, I am a superuser…yeah!!! :) That means I can do whatever I like to! Sounds great isn’t it? I am free to download and have a copy of any Linux distribution that I like, [The Community recommends Ubuntu for newbies like me.] I am free to burn or reproduce a copy of it and install to as many PC I want and I can freely and legally share it to you, to my friends, neighbours, to everyone!

$: Most (if not all) of the programs I needed as addition to the preloaded-useful-apps out-of-the-box, is also free!

$: I could have the source codes and study or modify it in any way that I like… I can have my own version of others work or I can even make my own distribution of Linux!

$: I can customize any settings on my computer; configure its behaviour or appearance to whatever I like. In short, I have a complete control over my computer; practically no restrictions at all.

Don’t you feel great and powerful? As I told you, I am still a newbie, but, as a newbie I already have reasons and things to discover. But, right now I am just concerned with the three most important things on my list. 

For sure, most of us SHIFTERS, will experience some 'learning curves'; but I know it will not that hard to learn and use Linux. As I try to discover and experience Linux, I will be posting here some basic guidelines  on how to get you started and together we will explore the 7 Wonders of Linux. [for advance guidelines, worry not! For Linux community will have your back]

Watch this demo to have a grasp of what Linux can offer you, and how it can improve us…to be young, free and sensible IT professionals. Ciao! :D